Quote:
Originally Posted by T32803 View Post
47 MPG ?
How How How ???

When I do a highway drive from Orlando to Tampa, I try to keep it in V4
mode and nurse it along but I always slowly lose speed and I end up giving
it more gas (goes back into v6 mode) to get it back up to 55. It's near
impossible to keep the car in v4 mode. Nursing as best I can I can get 32
maybe for the trip. I have the RS Package 20" wheels. V6 A8.

I almost started a thread asking people how they effectively keep the car in
v4 mode without constantly losing speed.
It can vary, keeping it in v4 is only half of the battle, the other half is anticipating the road so that when you feather it on v4 the speed you lose is balanced by your rolling momentum... ALSO, driving it in manual mode and keeping it in 8th gear makes a BIG difference. The car does NOT deactivate DoD UNTIL you downshift, so if you downshift you have to pop it back in drive and then back into Manual mode in 8th gear and it will remain active till you downshift again... here's an example...

You're cruising in V4 mode at 65 MPH, you are looking down the road and see a decline in elevation, and right after it...an incline.. NORMALLY you would just maintain speed like the cruise control woud... ...you'll lose fuel mileage by doing this I'm afraid.. here's what you do instead...

As you approach the decline, lightly apply the accellerator while in 8th gear and let the car continue to build speed, watch instant MPG read out and make sure it stays at atleast 50 + MPG as you decline.. at the bottom of the hill you may be doing 75 - 80 MPH... maintain this with the SAME % OF THROTTLE as you had coming down the hill..as you re-climb the hill since you're not applying more gas peddle, EVEN THOUGH you're climbing the hill..your fuel mileage will remain the same - 50 + MPG while climbing, you're going to LOSE speed.. but by the time you get to atleast halfway up the hill you'll be back at 65 MPH... if you drop below a SAFE speed, go ahead and downshift, apply more fuel until you successfully climb the hill, pop it back in drive, then back into manual and grab 8th gear again to reset DoD...rinse and repeat...

I kid you not... I will take a picture of it if I must but my record is 47 MPG in 50 miles meaning I literally only burned 2 gallons of gas in 100 miles.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote