View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 11:26 PM   #1
The Alien

Drives: 2017 2SS Covertible
DIY Stealth Mode for noisy cold start

Hi folks,

Before I get a ban from the Forum I want to say that everything started just as a game with extra parts I had in garage but at the end it worked and pretty well though

I just installed the axleback Borla S-Type. I love them but during the cold start, they are quite heavy and honestly I was feeling bad for all my neighbors and their kids when I was leaving at 5 am for work.

Anyways the stock exhaust too were pretty annoying at cold start.

My ride has the exhaust dual tip non NPP; however I read that also who has the NPP has the same problem since during a cold start, the valves stay open for the first seconds.

so, here is what I have made:

Cold Start with S-Type

Cold Start with the 'boxes of shame'

the Videos are taken from the same distance, I just zoomed a little more on the first one.
As you can hear, these crappy boxes do their job, and I have to say, they are quieter than the stock exhaust I had!

I've put at the end of the post the pictures on what it's inside the boxes.

I know , foam, cardboard and plastic are not really a good idea when we talk about exhaust but I wanted to test first if the idea I had in mind was actually working (I don't trust myself ).

In addition, I'm going to use them only for a cold start, the gases are not so hot to damage something there. I'm just worried about the condensation and the chemicals that may damage the foam in a long term process.

worst case scenario I will build a new couple, 96c the box, $9 pipes and $5 the foam sheets

in case of quad tips, the box layout will change but I guess it will work anyways.

thoughts? Can I still stay in the forum after sharing how crazy I am?
Attached Images

Last edited by The Alien; 12-03-2018 at 11:46 PM.
The Alien is offline   Reply With Quote