View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 11:08 PM   #30
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Tire and wheel size IS car balance though. I think you were referring to the Porsche GT cars (GT2 RS and GT3 RS), quick correction, they both come with 265/325 cheater Michelin Cup 2 R tires BTW and are rear engine cars so they require much wider rear tire even than those mid engine cars. Also they have steering in the rear and as Randy pointed out "they gain traction in corners they don't lose traction" . It would be apples to avocados because of that. I don't understand what his driver skill and experience has anything to do with any of this By adding more oversteer you're not actually fixing the underlying issue, you're simply lowering the car's overall limits, it's a "feel" thing. In order to fix the understeer, adding more grip (rubber) is the ideal solution. Most of the cars some with some sort of understeer from factory anyhow for general audience.

It's very early to speculate about the upcoming GS but I wouldn't be surprised if they put much wider tires up front. Of course on a front engine/heavy, RWD layout may benefit more from wider tires (up front) than a mid engine but that doesn't mean the C8 Z51 cannot. So far all that technology, DCT, mid engine, power is accounted for a slight performance bump ( 2 seconds) over previous car (C7 Z51) and C7 Z51 is much slower than a C7 GS in stock form. I also wouldn't use GT500 (700+hp muscle car) as a benchmark as Ford itself stated they're not interested in lap times. Yet it's still faster than a C8
I stand corrected: GT2 RS indeed has 265/325 tires.
Tire size *can* relate to car balance, but many considerations have to be accounted for first, like engine layout weight distribution wise, suspension set up and by all means differential tuning! And that's why Randy mentioned the latter vs tire sizes. Why his experience as a pro driver has *anything* to do with this? Because as a pro racer, proper car tuning is crucial to him and he knows a thing or two about the subject no doubt whatsoever. And he didnt even mention tire sizes. If those were "ideal solution" i think he would have mentioned it
Changing camber on C8 didnt just "add oversteer" or "lowered the car's overall limit". To the contrary, the car went 3 seconds faster...How fast was faster? Look up 2min lap at VIR on 4S tires vs fastest laps sticky...
Now imagine what it could do on Cup2s...

Note that majority of race cars have highly tunable diff for a very good reason. At times, up to four of its components can often be adjusted individually: number of clutches, preload, drive and coast functions. Each making the car balance different depending on corner phase, driver inputs etc.
And Randy surely knows it. And that's likely why he suggested it.

Note the Carrera S (a car that a C8 is bench marked against) comes with 235/295 tires. GT3 with 245/305. The car that still officially holds a PRODUCTION (non modded) Ring record, Lambo SVJ comes with 255/355 tires. How's that for "balance"?

As to C8 being "only 2 seconds faster" than a C7: if i could go 2 seconds faster id be a friggin hero at the venues i run. I already pass many uber cars, including club racers on slicks, but extra 2 seconds would put me on a totally different orbit and on par with a completely different class of cars. Most importantly, that head to head test was done on street alignment the best i can tell. With track set up it could possibly be 5 seconds faster. At least that how i understand the comparos here.

As to Ford not caring about laptimes, i know this is their official corporate mantra, alas it is also a complete and utter BS. Why else would they upgrade GT350 to Cup2 tires as standard? To piss off ppl with higher replacement costs and poor longevity? No! To compete with 1le and have mags write about it. That's why.

Now about GT500 being a "muscle car"...dont know a single muscle car with full aero They clearly had a ZLE in their crosshairs as GT350R didnt quite cut it. Are you really not impressed that a measly C8 Z51 was only 1 second slower than the best that Ford can offer? Come on man
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote