Thread: GT 500 vs ZL1
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #18
RageWorx

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 Camaro with MRC and NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
The problem is tho that by the time you mod them you done basically spent ZL1 money. And you wouldn't have all the stuff a ZL1 comes with. If you're gonna spend that much then you might as well get the ZL1.
He mentions in regards to strait line performance beating a GT500 .... so if strait line and drag racing are the only criteria than yes I agree you are better off with an modded SS or 5.0 GT especially in regards to lower weight and modding the car specific for this purpose rather than paying a higher starting price for a car that is built for events your not going to use the car for (again we are talking only strait line).

I haven't checked but I believe the fastest 1/4 time for any 6th gen Camaro is an SS A8 at least on the fast lists of this forum I believe and not a ZL1 (but give it time I'm sure that could change) ......

However if you want a car that is better equipped for more serious road racing and just really friggin fast right out of the box with no need for warranty voiding mods ....Then the ZL1 is Very hard to beat in terms of the overall package you are getting for the price point.

As far as money spent so far with my modded SS (which by the way isn't slow lol) ...... there is still a decent price gap and more mod money to be spent before I would equal the cost of a ZL1. Perhaps I just got some really good deals/hookups so everyone's results may vary and I didn't want or need everything a ZL1 had so I'm fine with a more purpose built SS for my wants/needs.

I just think its nice that any Camaro built on the Alpha platform is a Highly capable machine starting with the 4cly all the way up to the ZL1 you really can't go wrong no matter what kind of racing/driving your doing we all win .

-Jon
2016 HB Camaro 1SS A8 with MRC and NPP 398rwhp/389tq stock #s(11.84 @ 117 DR only, ECS boost 550rwhp/510tq (dynapack #s) , same boost + AEM water/meth + ARH Headers/mids 600 rwhp+ (dynojet #s) TTP)10.8 @ 129.
2020 Ford Explorer
2003 SVT Cobra Coupe (just your average KB Terminator Cobra).
2013 Focus ST (e30 Tuned).
2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins Dually 6 spd manual (tow rig).
1997 Jeep Cherokee (Lifted and Locked XJ off-road rig).

Last edited by RageWorx; 03-24-2020 at 08:22 PM.
RageWorx is offline   Reply With Quote