View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 03:59 PM   #39
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Guys, Ford is no time soon going to kill the Mustang - there will be a S650, believe it or not, official announcement or not.

As for Chevy and a Camaro Z/28... Honestly, I think it is very difficult to say what will happen. It could and it couldn't... But I have serious doubts that they will use the 5.5L DOHC FPC in the C8.R (and most likely the next C8 hi-po offering). Why? Well, the engineering, development and testing for a FPC is difficult and very application-specific. Think about this: you cannot take the LT2 and simply plop it into the Camaro, even though the LT2 is basically a slightly upgraded LT1, which is in the Camaro. The block is different in that it was adapted and integrated for a 1. dry-sump oiling system and 2. the C8 mid-engine architecture/mounting. I have to believe these two facts would create a serious issue in translating the FPC engine into another platform.

The most realistic options for a V8 engine upgrade in the Camaro are:
1. The LT5 going into some ZL1-ish variant.
2. LT1 with LT2 modifications added to it (I think there is a small possibility the intake manifold will fit under the Camaro hood).
3. Some other LT1-based engine that will be shared (at least roughly) with something else (maybe a truck).

Could Chevy surprise us with a "Z/28" that has a DOHC FPC V8? Sure, and I hope they do, but I don't see them investing into Camaro like that at this point. They'd more than likely use that same investment towards an electric Camaro.
I agree that no LT2 or future engine will ever go in a 6th gen, but the LT5 can and it would be very easy - plus it would finally offer the GM guys some proper HP to battle the RE and GT500 in straight line prowess.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote