View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 11:48 AM   #112
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Thanks. I wish the results were more favorable. Given these results and the Ask Al suspension test results, I think it's fair to say the advantage the DSSVs has/had over the MRC is disappearing. GM wrote off the terrible lap times in their test by saying the DSSVs are not tuned for the weight of the SS, but I don't think that accounts for the entire difference. That excuse certainly doesn't apply to my test.

It'd be interesting to see GM engineer a ZL1 1LE magnetic ride suspension setup where ride quality isn't a factor. I'd bet it'd be faster than the DSSVs and probably still ride better.

Last year at PittRace I ran with:

SWP Performance
Chin Track Days
3 Balls Racing
AutoInterests
SCCA TNiA
(and a few others I can't remember)

I'll pretty much signup with any club that has an opening on a day I'm available. If you want your club to book at PittRace, don't wait. I'm pretty sure they sold out the track early last year.
I haven't driven the DSSV's (ZL1 1LE) at speed and with something like a triple digit sweeper with a dip in the middle of the turn to know, but I suspect that is where the difference would be felt between the MRC and the DSSV shocks.

When I had my M3 with Ohlin coil-overs, the ride quality sucked compared to MRC, but there is a certain on-ramp sweeper near me that when traffic is light, I can take at 110ish and there is a small dip in the middle of the turn and with the Ohlins on the M3, the rebound recovery was IMMEDIATE and RIGHT NOW.

With MRC on the SS 1LE at the same speed, the recovery is still controlled but not as immediate, it does it a little more lazier. I suspect that would be the same difference with having the DSSV shocks, a little quicker reacting and recovery.

However, the penalty for having that is a harsh ride the rest of the time. Overall I LOVE the MRC over the Ohlins about 90% of the time.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote