View Single Post
Old 10-16-2021, 03:16 PM   #23
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Sorry, but the DWS are nowhere near the Goodyears in terms of dry traction or performance, unless maybe it's literally below freezing. Whether that difference in performance matters to the OP is another matter, but let's not accidently mislead anyone into thinking the DWS has better dry-weather performance than it really does.

The EC Sport is not relevant to any of this discussion. It's not an all-weather tire and has a completely different performance envelope than the DWS.
Yeah, the Contis are definitely not track tires and don't have the dry performance of a dedicated summer-only tire, like the GY. Any dedicated summer-only performance tire will undoubtedly offer higher limits and performance on warm, dry tarmac. I would not recommend the Contis, or any all-season tire, for track use.

That said, on the street, the Contis offer a similar level of performance under normal street driving conditions (not approaching limits of grip or handling). I can get some wheel spin in 1st gear with the Contis the same as I could with the SC3. The GY SC3 definitely offer more grip in warm dry conditions and I'd guess the Contis might be a couple tenths slower to 60 because of it. But I'm ok with the tradeoff because the Contis are much better in the wet and usable in the cold where the SC3 were not.

We have 4 full seasons in my area and an all-season tire makes a Camaro a 12-month car instead of a 6-month car without wheel/tire swaps. I don't intend to drive the car in any real snow but it's nice to know that I could if I got caught in a bit of light snow. We have more cold, below freezing temps than we do accumulating snow usually. If I lived somewhere without freezing temps I'd probably stick with a summer only performance tire.

Also, the Contis weigh about 3 lbs less per tire versus the GY SC3. I figured they would be heavier but they are not. That's 12lbs of rotating and unsprung weight, the worst kind. Probably not noticeable on the street but at least it's better than being heavier!

I had a 991 Carrera that I drove year round for a while. I swapped dedicated winter tires (Pirelli Sottozero) in the fall, and they were really good in the cold and snow. I drove through a heavy snow squall with no issues. But they were not good handling in the transitory seasons when it started to warm up. Plus it was a hassle to swap tires twice a year. There are compromises with everything. I guess the best option is to have a fleet of vehicles and use the best one for conditions of the day!
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote