View Single Post
Old 02-14-2021, 02:01 AM   #12
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
As I recall Chevy said the eLSD is larger than the standard differential and doesn't fit under the convertible with all the extra equipment and bracing for the convertible top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
I've never seen the underside of a convertible ZL1 where the diff is to see how much space is or isn't there.
IMO it was more of a cost issue than a "convertible top made less space issue."

The trunk floor steel in the vert and coupe are identical as far as I can tell, seems like a universal stamping for all 6th gens. There is probably enough room for them to have made it work if they wanted to. All the vert's hydraulics/pump hardware for the top is behind the back seat above the fuel tanks (not under the trunk). Probably more of an issue with the ELSD being larger than the regular LSD.

The top pic is a crappy shot of the back (shot looking toward the back from the front), but you can see the rear X-brace goes above the exhaust crimps and bolts to a brace behind the diff. So at first glance it should be easy enough to install another diff that fits the car [edit].

The middle pic is a much better shot of the ELSD on a coupe from another forum member's car. There's a control box at the rear where the x-brace body mount would be. Also the ELSD seems a bit larger (lower) so the body mount might need to be lower and have clearance issues.

[Edit: added 3rd pic with a better rear shot from my car of the Z vert LSD and bracing, showing cooling lines.]

It was probably more of a "do we want to spend another month and multiple tends of thousands of dollars developing a fix to the problem with packaging the ELSD with the X-brace, or just tell them there wasn't room?" kind of engineering decision Al O. had to make.

So what Mark114 said certainly seems to be the case here.

Attached Images

Last edited by Gunkk; 02-19-2021 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Added a better pic of my car, fixed an error.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote