View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #64
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Norm, why the assumption that he mean't "V8 rumbly". We have our own form of sound that we love...so no need to jump in with a useless comment. Yeah a V6 won't ever sound just like a V8, but if you think they can't sound "rumbly" and have a good strong tone, then you are just ignorant. Nothing wrong with not knowing. It just takes a lot more work to get there than it does with the V8.
Because "trying to imitate the V8 rumble" is the path that 9 out of every 10 exhaust discussions concerning 6 cylinder engines follows. Might as well head it off from the get-go.

Don't be lecturing me about the sixxer exhaust note without knowing how I feel about the topic. Two of the cars in my driveway have V6 engines. I can play a pretty sweet tune running up and down through the gears on the little 7500 rpm-capable 2.5L in my Mazda 626, now that I've swapped in a more open muffler. It more than makes up for not being all that fast by being satisfying to listen to and a whole lot of fun to drive.

Hell, I'd put an X-pipe exhaust on the V8 car that I have now if it needed exhaust system repair, like I effectively did with the V8 car I had before that. There's just something about the snarl that builds as you're running up through the midrange and it echoes off the Jersey lane barriers or when going through a tunnel . . .

FWIW, I doubt that a 90° V6 engine is considered commercially acceptable for use in a passenger car any more. Trucks, maybe. Being able to run it down the 90° V8 production line is unlikely to still be a good enough reason to outweigh the disadvantages.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote