View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 04:20 AM   #432
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I goes further than that, a workable DSSV damper upgrade would allow all existing 1SS and 1LT, as well as future base models to upgrade to a superior damper. It would also undercut the reason 3 plus years of people that have already ordered MRC (not a cheap option) and I don't think one can order that on a 1ss or 1lt.

Sure GM sells packages and makes money on them, even though GM is giving probably the best value per package, and the best overall design: SS, 1le, Zl1, ZLE, they like any other OEM makes the most money on packages (vs the car itself). When the 1le was released the DSSV dampers were still not out, at least to the public. The 1le was designed with an inferior damper and no castor/camber plates. Good enough for sure, but if GM was to release an over-the-counter 1LE suspension package for the SS with a DSSV damper configuration, it may well cut into the 1le orders and may well be faster on the road course. Even now there are people are forking over close to a grand to get rid of MRC and go with an aftermarket damper, I would assume the DSSV would be a good choice.

To my mind, if GM Performance was a totally separate company they would have tested (and published) the over-the-counter ZLE suspension with both the ZLE wheels and the 1lE wheels. I merely speculate that they indeed did said combinations and performance was on par with a true 1le, so GM never released the figures. It would cut into 1le and / or 2ss MRC sales, as well as let people with 1SS keep their rides. Giving the buying public a cheaper alternatives to more expensive packages is not the way to make money, when you are the sole provider of either. Pure speculation of course, but as Occams Razor always holds true, why would GM blot the DSSV + 1le suspension to a SS and release data on it with stock SS wheels? It is has already stated that such data is completely meaningless. Obviously GM wants to sell over-the-counter performance parts so they did indeed test the performance lowering spring packages, 1le kit with 1le wheels which MAKES sense. So either GMs engineers and access to the OEM parts bin and the track and expert drivers led to a workable DSSV package or GM waisted a lot of time and IQ points. I think GM knows exactly how a 1SS will perform given unlimited access to GM's parts bin.

The lowering springs package with the 1LE bars and wheels cuts nearly 6 seconds off the the SS's time (still 2 seconds slower than the 1LE pace). It is not hard to assume a proper height performace spring and DSSV dampers along with the related caster / camber plates would put an upgraded 1SS right into direct competition with the 1LE.

I would not be surprised to see a lightweight 1SS with 1le suspension, DSSV, EDiff and 6 pot front brakes on ZLE wheels. GM would find some aniversery or lunar cycle to name it after. BTW I did like the C8 launch and how the Vette related to astronauts well done.

I would not have ordered MRC anyway, that said, I had a feeling that the DSSV was just a plain better damper and the castor / camber plates was additional cream filling....
So perhaps MRC was just a bit more fancy schmancy. I personally like MRC for DD street driving with aggressive performance. But I'm guessing it would not be the first preference for those who want more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Yep, so even the die-hards would not drive Cup2 on the street So these really race tires and in many ways not relevant to streetcars, as most normal (anybody with common sense and not made of money) drivers are not on the public roadway with Cup2s. Hence I wish that these performace test be done with 220 minimum wear summer tires.
They're not the most friendly tire...money-wise and for DD use. And they definitely do not last long. Not on something as heavy as the GT500 apparently. It's an expensive one lap setup where a great driver can do a great lap but only once. So for the tires alone that is a $1600+ lap. That doesn't even include other costs. And when something blows up you're stuck with the bill. Meanwhile other cheaper cars are running more than 1 hero lap. No thank you. If that car wasn't as mismatched and thrown together as it was then maybe it would be a different story.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote