View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 04:46 AM   #1
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
Smile Replaced Control Valve Solenoid 12687167 / Camshaft Position Sensor V6 LGX P0014

Hello,

Code P0014: "Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 1 Exhaust," first appeared while on a recent road trip, at approximatly 64,000 miles. I was in Washington DC at the time and stopped at an AutoZone for a complimentary scan. As I did not have any noticable loss of power or driveability issues, I continued on my tour. Eventually the CEL turned off and I assumed the issue was temporary. By the time I reached Texas, the CEL re-illuminated and three mechanics advised me to replace the part when I arrive home in NY. They said I may experience a decrease in gas milage and performance. As I continued on my tour, the CEL, again, turned off.

Back home & 6000 miles later:
The day before yesterday, I performed an oil change and used a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner, as apart of my routine DIY maintenance. Yesterday, after Goodyear rotated my tires, the CEL re-illuminated. I decided to finally tackle this issue head on. I picked up a resonable $45 OBD scanner from Harbor Freight Tools. The scan presented the same code I was shown in both DC and Texas, "Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 1 Exhaust." I purchased a "Control Valve Solenoid - GM (12687167)"
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...noid-12687167/ from my local dealer, Atlantic Chevrolet, for $48.56. I discovered Bank 1 is located on the passanger side of the engine through process of elimination. First, I disconected the wire from the visable driver side sensor. Do note, the small wire clip is very tight and required a tool to pull it off but be careful not to pull on the wires themselves! Second, I rescanned with the OBD and read "open circuit bank 2 exhaust." Therefor, I knew I was on the wrong side of the engine. Unlike bank 2, bank 1 is hidden underneath the foam insulation on the passanger side. I could not easily remove the insulation, so I cut a small slit just long enough to access the 10mm nut. I then removed the old sensor/solenoid and replaced it with the new one. The original part did not appear to have any visable damage and perhaps it can be salvaged after a bath in injector cleaner. Before driving, I gave the Camaro a much needed wash with Meguiar's gold wash.

I roughly followed the GM driving cycle instructions to remove the permanent code: http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

I drove the car 50 miles, allowed it to cool down for several hours and then drove it an additional 50 miles, mostly on cruze control. By the time I arrived home, the CEL had turned off. I checked with the OBD scanner and saw both "permanent" and "pending" codes had cleared themselves. The "stored" codes do remain and did not erase when instructed to. Should I be concerned about this? Gas milage appears to have improved. I do believe my issue has been resolved and hope my experience can help those with a similar matter. I will update if the CEL reappears.

-2017 1LT V6 LGX M6 Vert, stock
-Currently 70,240 miles
-I am the 2nd owner since 48,000 miles, purchased December 2018.
-Only use ExxonMobile 93 Supreme gas
-OCI of 6,000 miles / 20% oil life
Attached Images

Last edited by wintertopdown; 09-18-2019 at 06:53 AM.
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote