View Single Post
Old 10-31-2022, 02:14 PM   #1
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
Unbelivalbe nightmare poor customer service from gpi in my opinion

So I bought a drop in standard compression pistons and rods from gpi. Got everything prepped gaped rings to 22 thou per Kevin at gpi.
By the way I was dumb enough to think these pistons came with total seal rings because they put that chart up as a guide to gapping the rings. They are not total seal rings why use that as a gapping chart does not make sense to me but o well.

Put the oil ring in the bore just to make sure no gaping was necessary. Never seen an oil ring that did but I ck it anyway.

Installed all the rings and installed in the motor buttoned it all up. I will admit I did not spend a lot of time checking spinning ect the oil rings they installed fine it seemed. I spent a ton of time getting the 2 compression rings gapped exactly.
Every thing seemed fine. Did a break in about 75 to 100 miles a couple of heat cycles. Started doing hits and kept coming up with misfire on number 8, 30 to 66 misfires. Got random misfire ck engine light. Never had that problem before.

Kept chasing number 8 changed plugs twice regapped changed plug wires swapped injectors around coils around ect to no avail still number 8 and plug looked perfect.

So doing a hit I noticed smoke out the back in the mirror. The car was smoking like an old car that never had the oil changed. It used 2.5 quarts of oil in 400 miles.

So Found number 7 plug black. So that’s where the misfire really was and nothing left to do but take it all apart again!!!! Gueerrr!!!. Its a lot of work and a lot of time.

I found number 7 piston with the oil ring stuck to the piston. Number 3 oil ring was slightly sticky. I was able to get the ring unstuck but could find no reason why it was stuck.

bottom line these two pistons have too small of an oil ring land. All other's seem fine not sticky and can rotate freely and compress no problem.

Heres the NIGHTMARE!!! Gpi will be happy to send the pistons to diamond to see if there is a problem with the pistons. BUT THEY WILL NOT SELL ME A PISTON TO GET THE CAR GOING IN THE MEAN TIME.

RONNIE THE PARTS MANGER ( I DON’T WANT TO BREAK UP A SET). That’s not very good customer service to me!!!!!! Im happy to pay for the pistons until that can make a determination, diamond that is.

Kevin apologies for any inconvenience. Inconvenience REALLY!!! ok

So I call diamond and talk to Mike in teck. He said they would be happy to make gpi single pistons and would only ONLY take 4 weeks. Geese's 4 weeks so a few days to send to gpi a few days for for gpi to send to diamond and then 4 weeks for them to build one offs so what maybe running in 6 weeks at best. They will not sell to me this piston only gpi.

All because,,,,,,,,,,,, Ronnine does not want to open a box set it aside for 4 weeks send me 2 pistons, then diamond will replace in 4 weeks. WOW Ok If that’s what you call taking care of the customer I have had MUCH MUCH better customer service. I give much better customer service myself. Frankly I find that inexcusable and unacceptable. I am more than happy to pay upfront. I tee totally thought gpi was a better company than this.
Frankly its quite dishearten to me. I paid them a bunch of money for other parts overnight shipping ect. quote gpi ( it don’t matter to them how much money you spend with them).

So I worked with these pistons for I don’t know a few hours trying to figure out why and how to resolve it. I can not figure it out. So I took the oil ring off the Wesco Texas speed pistons I had in the car, that were made for stock rods. The oil ring corrugated part is exactly 1 thou smaller thick wise than the Diamond ring. I micked it, its exactly 1 thou. That oil ring fits perfect and spins and is not sticky on either piston. Just pure dumb luck. Not that im lucky in the first place to have this problem to begin with!!!!

So my choices.
Buy another set and hope to sell the other 6 pistons from the kit ( Im guessing gpi wont sell to me anymore after these truthful comments) o well
Try to get the oil ring on these 2 cut correctly.
Use the Wesco rings and send it.

What do u guys think I should do. Anyone up to buy some gpi drop in pistons 4 passenger side 2 drivers side?
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote