View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 01:27 PM   #15
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy96 View Post
I get the point of the Hans devices; however, I come from an ATV/MX racing background also and often wondered if a simple neck brace that is used in MX would be sufficient. Not bashing the Hans, just always seemed a bit over the top. The point is to stop your head and helmet from flying forward in a crash and breaking your neck. The mx neck brace is designed to do a similar function AND prevent you from breaking your neck from impacts from multiple angles. I can tell you first hand ATV GNCC and MX crashes are pretty brutal and fatalities are often in the GNCC series.

Link to an example:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/r...5-neck-brace-p
I would assume that it wouldn't be too much of an advantage:
-The head going backwards is supported/restrained by the seat. The MX/ATV brace wouldn't really do anything here as it's design targets, most substantial, a reduction in that direct, where the seat will already do this.
-The head going forward is the big issue in a track vehicle - high speed = high forces/high acceleration on the head. The MX/ATV brace, I don't see how will help much here as it doesn't prevent the head from going forward, only slightly limiting how forward can go. An automotive head restraint (HANs, Hybrid, etc.) significantly limits how much the head can go forward and tethers that movement to the body (couples the force absorption to the body).
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote