View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 07:31 AM   #46
MeanGreen1LE

Drives: 17 krypton green 1le
Preparing pistons

108a if you are new to this like I it is very important to lay the rods and pistons out where you decrease the risk of getting them oriented incorrectly. The chamfer side goes toward the radial fillet. Which is basically a little transitional area on the crankshaft. Drivers side chamfer goes forward and passenger backwards. The piston will have some sort of marking to establish the correct direction. These diamond pistons have an f for the front. (The f will be upside down for drivers side bank)

108b take note if you don’t know that there is and upper and lower bearing. It will also make the chamfer on the correct side.
Use a Rod vice if you have one. (Seriously suggest getting one this is a cheap one from summit but works fine). The rod bolts where already torqued down. Sorry no pics but I used an arp bolt stretch gauge to check the stretch and get another round of cycling. All but one worked out to be between 77-79 lbs feet to get the .005-.006 of stretch. (One was 73# I hope to be able to at least check it in car to make sure)

108c put spiral locks in front side of every piston. Then lubed up pins and attached rods to pistons. Then put in rod vice to install final two spiral locks in each piston. Remember 4! For each one. Spiral locks are not fun. Lots of good videos online but instead of a screw driver I used a plastic trim tool. (Blue in pic). Holy cow I’m so impressed with how good it worked. Was able to follow spiral without worrying about gouging my pistons awesome!

108d another step down. I hope they are correct ! I think it’s time to remove cradle then oil pan.
Attached Images

MeanGreen1LE is offline   Reply With Quote