View Single Post
Old 09-29-2022, 11:38 PM   #35
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG329 View Post
Honestly, I wanted a Cayman before I even looked in the direction of a Camaro. No exaggeration, MECHANICALENG, ZL1+911, and I have been beating up on Cayman's all season long. It's really not even close. I saw one well driven Cayman all year and he told me the car felt like it was on the limit. Seeing how slow those things are (all relative of course) completely killed my desire to own one. 987 Cayman, 718 Cayman, GT4 Cayman GT4 (718) Cayman, it didn't matter. They all got rocked by both SS and ZL1 this season. The average event has them giving wave by's every single session.

I won't even get started on the C8 (Stingray). What a major letdown. Like a hot girl with a fatty but can't twerk on the "D". Those cars really can't finish a turn. There are a handful of fast guys out there on them who can ride around the flaws but the vast majority I've seen on track are very slow. there are more videos on YouTube about the "Corvette Guy who wouldn't Wave me by" than ever before.

But the same cam and headers on a ZLE gets you near 700hp at the wheels leaving the SS behind yet again. Add E40-E50 and the gap is even wider.

I won't debate the fact that many will go faster in an SS than a ZLE because it's absolutely true. No argument there whatsoever. However, that comes down to one's personal abilities (or lack thereof) to exploit the inherit advantages dialed into the ZLE from the factory.

If ZL1+911 feels that he will go faster in an SS, then yeah, maybe he's right and he will. That ultimately comes down to his ability and comfort level. Just don't chalk it up to the idea that the SS somehow has something that the ZLE lacks. That simply is not the case.

Carry the hell on!

Thanks for the perspective on the Cayman and C8. For the Cayman the GTS or GT4 would be the only real choices. Even the GT4 isn't crazy fast but lots of people put it near the top for driving experience. On the C8 I have a hard time believing GM screwed up that bad if you get Z51 + magride. Hopefully something bars and an alignment could compensate for?

The BRZ is actually interesting as it's crazy fast at autox, a STX car with the new RE71RS averages over 1.6g and raw times SS cars this season. The price leaves room for adding power...

On SLE vs ZLE I'm not claiming the SLE is faster anywhere except maybe autox. Just pointing out the differences in power output aren't massive and you can have a lighter NA car with the same power, it just costs nearly $10k for cam, heads and tune. At that point it should compete with a stock ZLE, especially if you also do some minor suspension mods and an ideal alignment. You can end up with a bit better power to weight vs a ZLE, but of course the ZLE has higher limits still with the LT4's fully forged internals. Also the ZLE's M6 is geared very differently vs the SLE, likely a significant factor in making it faster.