View Single Post
Old 09-29-2022, 10:08 PM   #33
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Good discussion. I have contemplated ordering a ZLE because I think it's not likely to depreciate, but not sure I actually want it due to the extra weight, complexity and consumables costs. My current SS 1LE is more ideal. I'm thinking I might rather have a Cayman or C8 which will be available new for longer, costs less to drive and having a mid engine car would be something different vs my SLE.
Honestly, I wanted a Cayman before I even looked in the direction of a Camaro. No exaggeration, MECHANICALENG, ZL1+911, and I have been beating up on Cayman's all season long. It's really not even close. I saw one well driven Cayman all year and he told me the car felt like it was on the limit. Seeing how slow those things are (all relative of course) completely killed my desire to own one. 987 Cayman, 718 Cayman, GT4 Cayman GT4 (718) Cayman, it didn't matter. They all got rocked by both SS and ZL1 this season. The average event has them giving wave by's every single session.

I won't even get started on the C8 (Stingray). What a major letdown. Like a hot girl with a fatty but can't twerk on the "D". Those cars really can't finish a turn. There are a handful of fast guys out there on them who can ride around the flaws but the vast majority I've seen on track are very slow. there are more videos on YouTube about the "Corvette Guy who wouldn't Wave me by" than ever before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post

Also with the SS, a cam and headers would get you the same power as a ZLE, they really have +150 hp vs a SS as the supercharger costs 50 hp. The cost of doing this to an LT1 is kind of shocking compared to older Chevy small blocks though. I'd also like to replace the AFM lifters but can't do that without removing the heads. :(
But the same cam and headers on a ZLE gets you near 700hp at the wheels leaving the SS behind yet again. Add E40-E50 and the gap is even wider.

I won't debate the fact that many will go faster in an SS than a ZLE because it's absolutely true. No argument there whatsoever. However, that comes down to one's personal abilities (or lack thereof) to exploit the inherit advantages dialed into the ZLE from the factory.

If ZL1+911 feels that he will go faster in an SS, then yeah, maybe he's right and he will. That ultimately comes down to his ability and comfort level. Just don't chalk it up to the idea that the SS somehow has something that the ZLE lacks. That simply is not the case.

Carry the hell on!
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote