View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #395
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hale95 View Post
Did GM not learn from Ford? Anyone remember the Mustang II?????? Fail!!! Would the 4 cyl camaro come standard with the coffee can muffler.... oh wait.. What do you call an american ricer car now?.... It's the 2016 Camaro.
You really can't compare today's fours against those from the mid-1970's any more than you can compare the current LS engine series against the 150-ish HP V8's of the same period. If anything, some of today's fours are stronger than most of the mid-70's eights.

Yeah, I suppose the 2.3L Mustang II could be seen as a "FAIL" as seen through a drag racer's eyes. But it wasn't intended for them either then or now (unless you're going to swap an LS-something into it like I'd consider doing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Sound is a completely valid performance measure to many people. It's also personal and subjective. Most people here would say that the sound of a V8 accelerating quickly is more pleasing than an I4 which has to wind up into annoying RPM ranges to achieve the same acceleration.

Same for highway driving. A Torque filled V8 can lope along nicely at 70MPH ar perhaps 1700RPMs, which is a lower frequency and less shrill than a I4 at the same speed which could be at 2500 or more RPMs.
Yup. The characteristic slightly choppy rumble of most V8's has undeniable appeal to all but a very few. Not everybody appreciates the "smoother" sound of a high-winding small bore engine, whether it's coming from a 4, a 6, or even an X-piped V8 . . . dunno, maybe you have to have some hands-on experience outside the V8 musclecar/ponycar/drag-race side of the hobby before you can. Think multicylinder bikes and traditional British/European sports roadsters if you'd rather not think Honda.

(aren't you lugging the engine if you're only at 1700 rpm in 4th, 5th or 6th }

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote