View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 07:02 AM   #41
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
I saw this old thread while on google searching for times. Did this forum user really pull off 3.6 seconds in a SS AND A8????

I know Car and Driver pulled off 3.9 seconds in a 2019 Camaro SS as well as the 2016 Camaro SS as well I recall too. Faster 1/4 mile I've see with the LT1 engine was 11.9 seconds I could find.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470402
The onboard timer relies on the speedometer. We are talking here a front engine, rear wheel drive car with a forward weight bias and a lot of torque/power, meaning wheelspin happens easily on street tires. Therefore, the times that people claim from a speedometer-based timer are suspect. When you see an SS M6 with just a catback claim 3.6, you should realize that it's probably bogus.

Below is a visual aid on the speedometer. Green is speedometer, yellow is driven wheel sensor, magenta is undriven wheel sensor. Note how wheelspin makes a speedometer reading that the car is not actually doing at that time. Going back from that '60' to where the speedometer read zero, the time interval was 2.985 sec. On 4 year old plain street tires, yeah, right. See what I mean about the speedometer getting fooled? Those timers don't analyze the data, they see '60' and there you go. Using a data system like this however, we can see the obvious problem with wheelspin, so we know that the 'time' between the 2 speedometer readings was not meaningful.

Name:  wheelslip.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  51.1 KB
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote