View Single Post
Old 05-24-2022, 05:13 PM   #8692
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
Unless you are talking about 0-60 on the street the ZL1 most definitely DOES NOT accelerate faster than the GT500. Its not a small negligible difference either. It's a difference that is tangible and is real.
BTW the GT500 0-60 is as fast or faster on a prepped track with street tires.
Ive seen as low as 1.6-1.7 60ft's for the GT500 which is what my Tesla 3 performance does (my tesla 0-60 is 3.1).

From your Car and Driver link:

"By 100 mph, though, the Ford is quicker than the Chevy by 0.3 second, and by 160 mph, it's more than five seconds quicker. Its 132-mph trap speed in the quarter is ample proof of the Mustang's power."

TBH I could care less about most the stuff/stats you've posting personally. If the ZL1 was the better car FOR/TO ME I would have kept it and saved money or sold my GT500 and went back...

BTW - Ive never once said the GT500 is better than the ZL1, Ive been saying its better FOR ME. I agree the ZL1 is the better overall bargain especially considering the ridiculous ADM the GT500 has been selling for since it's release. Comparing MSRP to MSRP the difference doesn't seem as great, considering you get the DCT, hand built motor and much larger blower in the Shelby.
My opinions are not biased and I am not brand loyal in any way. I can appreciate performance no matter the manufacturer.

This is a Camaro forum and camaro biased opinions here is to be expected which is fine.

I'd even greatly consider buying a ZL1 manual convertible in the future. Top down elevates the cramped low visibility issue for me.

The ZL1 may stop shorter but it certainly doesn't feel that way behind the wheel (compared to the standard ZL1, I've never driven the ZLE)
The ZL1 may turn better but isn't a difference I can clearly tell on the back roads I drive on. Both handle amazing and have very high limits, I dont come close to pushing these cars to their limits on public roads. I dont track my cars either.
60+ highway acceleration isn't close, the GT500 is faster, period; a metric I do care about.
It wouldn't take much for the ZL1 to be as fast as the GT500 in a straight line, but you'd have to forego warranty to get there, something I'm not willing to do.

Something tells me you've never driven a GT500 and can only post stats on paper
Put the Car and Driver down and go thoroughly drive one and you'll see the GT500 attributes aren't only "marketing".
For the record, the LT4 in the more recent ZL1s are also hand built by one person, similar to the Predator engine. Mine has a stamped name plate on the intercooler supply pipes at the front of the supercharger; it was built by Andrea Carothers at the Performance Build Center in Bowling Green, KY. My guess is that started when the C7 Z06 went out of production, they kept making the LT4 for the ZL1 at the same plant.

Also, about the 160 mph time: I have a theory that the LT4 starts to heat soak and pull quite a bit of timing after about 12 sec. of continuous WOT due to the slightly compromised intercooler HEX positioning, so after about 130-135 mph on a stock car, the acceleration curve really falls off. The Predator doesn't have that same issue, so it continues to pull hard much longer than the LT4. If a run starts later, say at 60-70+ mph, the ZL1 will likely hang longer and the differential won't be as great.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote