View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 11:33 PM   #268
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I am awake and having worked there Al is just one voice in who determines what powertrains go into that car. He can't just make s&*t up as he wants. He has corporate goals for FE, Safety, Emissions, and profitability he has to deliver on. He reports to a pretty solid guy I worked with on several programs who has all RWD performance cars, not just Camaro. That position is EXECUTIVE Chief Engineer. He gets a bigger say.

Here is the quote, “We’re not following Ford”, Oppenheiser told AG during the 2013 SEMA show. “As long as they’ll pay me to be the chief engineer, I’m going to fight for every horsepower I can and every cylinder I can,” he said.

Fighting for every HP and Cylinder you can doesn't scream there will not be a 4 cylinder. When he says not copy Ford, do you suppose he meant they might not have the 4 cylinder be a premium engine over the V6? Ford's 4 cylinder turbo is an upgrade engine over the V6.

So we shall see and you may be correct. But the cards have been dealt. But you are reading the headline, not the quotes from Al. His quotes have a lot of wiggle room.
I'm reading what he said a lot more accurately than everyone who's sure that there will be a 4 cylinder Camaro.

I could also go into why the 4 cylinder won't necessarily be better than a 6 cylinder, but frankly no one is listening.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote