View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #30
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
Technically, if the engine is behind the front axles it can be considered mid-engined

more rear overhang will help the weight distribution in the front engined models even out the front/back balance, but moving the engine behind the front axle line does pretty much the same thing (i.e. z4) But I think we're pretty much arguing the same thing.

sen10l: If I had to guess (and I'm only guessing here based on what i've seen) there is room to reduce the overhangs without effecting too much in the car space wise. I'm picturing the panels built to "hug" closer to the engine itself and it being a very tight fit. You'd be surprised how much they can change without you really noticing it. They could move the firewall back 2"in the tranny tunnel area and leave the same footwell space and you'd never really notice. Same with the grill/rad support area. they can tighten the gap between the front of the engine and the rad fan etc etc. ever looked under the hood of a subaru? YIKES tight spaces (among many others, sub's just came to mind)

I think the gen 6 will be a bitch to work on, because of that stuff. A foot shorter seems pretty drastic to me. mabye that's what the concept looks like right now, I doubt it'll be THAT much of a difference.
Agreed
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote