View Single Post
Old 09-10-2022, 11:38 AM   #11
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
Thanks all for the comments! And I definitely anticipated that someone would ask about the cost.

Let's just say that the project cost me more than I wanted it to, but the result was still worth every penny!

Also, I'm pretty sure my total out-of-pocket figure would (hopefully) not be representative since I was paving the way on a project that we weren't even certain could be done at the outset. There are definitely DIY steps where costs could be cut, now that I know what I know! One of the reasons for my de-fresh writeup was to hopefully help people figure out how to do their own as economically as possible.

So more important than what mine cost (ouch, do I have to think about that again?) is what yours might cost, right?

My total parts cost, which I think does offer a representative estimate on what the hardware end of the project might cost you, was right around $1,500. Here's the breakdown on that figure.

The front and rear fascias and hood (all second-hand) cost me a total of $850 (plus they included the associated styrofoam and absorber internals I ended up needing). The two wiring harnesses from Gen5DIY (taillights and DRL's, you might not need the latter) totaled just under $200. Two taillight brackets were $56 at the local parts counter. I got the RS upper grille (new condition, in box) off eBay for $128. The lower RS grille came from the local parts counter for around $200 (it was cheaper from the online parts sources, but shipping quotes were a deal-killer). [Note that I needed these grilles because the used front fascia I bought had aftermarket grilles in it. As noted in the writeup, I probably should have gone with a non-RS grille for the upper one given how the chrome trim ended up being shortened. I'll be blacking out those two "chrome" pieces.] The LED taillights were brand new takeoffs I found via eBay for $90, shipped. I bought these before I even had my '21 - my first parts purchase for the de-fresh project!

Parts costs will be offset if you end up selling your original body panels, etc.

You should be able to guesstimate shop labor costs as follows: Figure time to remove and replace the front and rear fascias and absorbers, hood, and taillights (plus swapping over marker lights, wiring, etc., as necessary).

As for the custom modifying/fitting the three upper grille pieces and (if equipped) the backup sensors - maybe no more than 1.5 hours?

Then there are materials and labor for prepping and painting a hood, front and rear fascias, and upper grille pieces. You save on painting costs if you can obtain color-matched body panels (not possible for me, since satin steel was introduced on the 2019's).

Somebody here affiliated with a body shop might be able to offer the "standard" time estimates for these items - and broken down by front and rear would be most helpful, since it is possible to do a "half-defresh."
Great follow up! The parts were actually cheaper than I thought they’d be.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote