View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 09:44 AM   #61
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
If you feel like the OLM is miscalculating or not representing the true degradation state of your oil you have options, you know.

- You can just reset the OLM yourself without changing the oil.
- You could change oil without resetting the OLM.
- You could also change oil when you believe it needs to be changed and reset the system at that time.

My first oil change at about 200 miles I didn't even look at the Oil Life guage - didn't know it existed. I just wanted to be sure any metal filings or assembly debris were cleaned out. When I changed oil the second time at about 600 miles, OLM it said I still had 80% life left. I knew that it needed to be changed so I went ahead and changed oil and filter myself but left the meter alone. The first-catch sample I took proved me right. It was dark with a minor amount of suspended fine metalic particles, which is to be expected on a new motor. That's when I replaced the plain drain plug with a magnetic one designed for the Corvette C7. Other engine oil changes were at 1200, 2500, 3600, and 4500. The 1200 and 4500 changes were my 2 free GM oil changes. They will automatically reset your life meter at the dealer service. I'll do another oil change myself this week when I expect to trip 6000 miles on my ODO. I'll reset the meter myself.

Why change my oil so often? Mostly for peace of mind... Most of my miles so far have been drag racing or travelling to and from tracks. During break-in I changed it more often. Since then it's been about every 1000 miles. This time I let it go a little farther (1500 miles) to see how it looks. If it's darker or smells older I'll go back to fewer miles. I figure it's cheap insurance to minimize engine wear and keep it clean inside.

--Cal
I used to change my oil every 3000 miles on all my vehicles with Castro GTX 20w50. Now will only using Mobil 1 5w30 in both vehicles and I will change at 5000 miles. Any more frequent is really just a waste. I know Mobil 1 is 10,000 miles supposedly, but I will still change at 5000 miles for peace of mind also.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote