View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #1
mt.nichols

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
mt.nichols' 2019 ZL1 1LE Track Toy

Hi all,

I figured I'd start a journal to keep track of my experiences with my '19 ZL1 1LE. It is primarily a track car, so if you came in here expecting a big HP build.. you're gonna have a bad time. I came from a 2012 GTR that I had modified for track duty as I became more interested in it. Long story short, the car just simply didn't like it and I was getting bored after my first 5 track days.

Here's a shot of the GTR at Eagles Canyon Raceway:

The day I bought the ZLE "used" with 275 miles on the odometer

After buying the car, I immediately changed the brake fluid for Castrol SRF and had the car aligned per the GM performance manual (-2.7 deg front camber, -2.0 rear). I then finished up the break in period and was ready to hit the track!

Track Day #1 on 2/23/19: Texas Motor Speedway Infield (CW configuration)
Notes: first track day with the car (and any high hp RWD platform), 6th track day in my life. Loads more rotation than the GTR, going to have to change my driving style quite a bit. Car loves trail braking and on throttle rotation is excellent
  • Tires: Goodyear Supercar 3R (stock)
  • Brakes: Stock pads, Castrol SRF
  • Power: Stock
  • Best Lap: 38.88

Shadow black camo wrap, also added Flowmaster American Thunder axleback and deleted the secondary cats

Track Day #2 on 3/19/19: MSR Cresson 1.7 CCW configuration
Notes: added a RotoFab dry filter CAI before this event. Still learning the car but love the consistent grip of the SC3R
  • Best Lap: 1:21.15
https://youtu.be/XYUfMXVBqWs

Track Day #3 on 4/1/19: MSR Cresson 3.1 CCW configuration
Notes: corded both fronts in the second to last session of the day, tires had ~1,500 street miles and about 10 sessions on them. Everything felt great otherwise.
  • Best Lap: 2:23.58

I was a bit disappointed with the life of the stock Goodyear SC3R, so I decided to try some NT01s in hopes of better tire life. I went with stock sizes (305/30/19 and 325/30/19).
While waiting at Discount Tire, I noticed I've been working the brakes a bit

Track Day #4 on 4/9/19: MSR Cresson 1.7 CCW configuration
Notes: first day on NT01s and they definitely felt softer than the GYs on turn in
  • Tires: Nitto NT01 (stock sizes)
  • Best Lap: 1:21.15
https://youtu.be/F4DPtyhKbbQ

Track Day #5 on 4/14/19: TMS infield CW
Notes: damp track to start the day but dry conditions and ~75 deg for most sessions
  • Best Lap: 37.78

I decided to upgrade the pads, stock pads still have some life left in them for street use. I went with GLoc R12 front and R10 rear.

Track Day #6 on 5/13/19: MSR Cresson 3.1 CCW configuration
Notes: lots of water on track affected braking and acceleration for the entire day, NT01s corded during second to last session of the day. Braking felt great with the new pads, tons of initial bite and stopping power
  • Brakes: GLoc R12/R10, Castrol SRF
  • Best Lap: 2:23.46

I'm obviously burning through tires quickly, so I decided to go with some 18s and slicks since they can be had for cheap. I'm working with BC Forged for the wheels; I'll post specs and pics when everything is finalized. I did get my first set of slicks.. Continentals in 305/680/18 front and 315/680/18 rear. I'll probably try 315 square if I like the feel of these.

I'm taking a break for the summer, then I will be going to COTA in October. It'll be my first time there, and my first time on slicks. I do plan on adding the Garage Therapy brake cooling kit to offset the reduction in air gap between the 18 and 19 inch wheels. I'll have that done before COTA for sure.

Anyways, I'll keep this thread updated as I go. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by mt.nichols; 05-29-2019 at 08:57 AM.
mt.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote