View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 09:36 PM   #7
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
The Simpson Hybrid-S is a MUST IMO with the speeds these cars are capable of. NHTSA minimum speed for airbag deployment is 14mph. I have heard most OEMs calibrate for a 35mph crash to meet this requirement while balancing the force of deployment. Doing 120+ with an extra 5lbs of head weight…you're going to smack the wheel before the airbag even deploys (my opinion; do your own research)

The Hybrid-S offers both a frontal restraint, but also a side-to-side, which is helpful in OEM seats without Halo protection. I have literally not heard of any negative safety aspects for their use in our cars.

If you go down this road, couple thoughts:
-I went with quick release pull-string style anchors since we have to take our helmets off to climb out the window. These are no longer approved by some racing orgs because they can snag and inadvertently release. Upside for me is one-handed release.
-Drape a t-shirt between headrest and front of seat. It will prevent the Hybrid-S from scratching the ZL1 seat trim piece.
-Hybrid-S is totally compatible with harnesses if you upgrade - I’ve done it.. (Watch Kyle Larsen climb out of his NASCAR…he wears this style and clearly has many options)
I tend to agree with your comments. I read from others that wearing them can be dangerous in cars without a roll bar, in the event of a rollover and collapsed roof.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote