View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #7399
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
One of my mentors at GM was Larry Burns. When he was VP of R&D at General Motors he led GM development of fuel cells and EVs and is still very active in fuel cell and autonomous driving circles today. He and Gordon Murray would probably agree on where FCEV may be headed. I will continue to disagree with both of them on this point. Given that GM’s work on FCEV predates GM’s work on modern EVs, I think there are some merits to my position on this.

Given the opportunity to “ refuel” everyday at home while you sleep, or driving to a hydrogen refueling station...for the sake of argument let’s say that you can get hydrogen at 50% of the gas station locations available today...what would most consumers do? I argue that they would refuel at home. Infrastructure for long range EVs (200+ mile range) is only needed for long trips.
A good response. I will say that it makes sense in urban areas.

My life isn't urban, and I am 180 miles to the nearest major center one-way (airport, Costco, etc). So no, EVs do not make much sense as a full replacement where I live, and likely won't ever except as a commuter to work for my wife (65 mile round trip daily).

That said, battery tech must still be improved, recycling of old batteries must be proven, and sourcing of Cobalt must be addressed with actual proof of Tesla's claims...simple statements don't cut it. Also, I am forced to pay distribution and transmission charges on my electrical bill. In fact, 75% of my bill is these charges. They also increase with electricity usage, they are not a flat rate. More power means more surcharges for me. Long distances to the nearest urban center, plus trips we take that are much further than 200 miles without any charging stations means EVs are not a likely successful scenario where I live, nor for the majority of those who live in my area.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote