View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #12
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
There's no getting around the stock tune/TQ Mgmt in these cars.

You can squeeze a little bit more out with a ported TB/SC snout and headers/catback but, the computer isn't optimized for that and the TM isn't going to let you access all of the power you could achieve. Plus it's going to throw codes.

I'm also on the fence about the Chevy Performance offerings. While you may be able to piecemeal the parts, I don't think GM is going to create multiple tunes for different parts combinations. I have no proof or data to back this up but I just don't see the GM going through the effort to do so, not to mention the warranty work issues that would occur with multiple part/tune packages (just imagine the nightmare with dealership service personnel to know/understand the difference b/w tunes when some can't even give you a straight answer on rear diff. fluid). Having said that, I am curious to see what GM does but I'm not holding my breath. If they prove me wrong I'll eat crow.

Also, look real close at the after market CAIs compared to the stock intake box. The stock box already has a plenum for cold air. Most of the aftermarkets do not and frankly I don't think they are worth the cost. Some folks will call this heresy but, I just don't see the cost justification for a "sealed" (foam rubber up against the hood) box with a larger filter and new tube being worth $500+. Sure, it'll make the SC whine louder and reduce airflow restriction but I think you can get away with increasing airflow by using a replacement HP air filter (i.e. K&N, Green Filter) for $60-70. While there are some sealed box CAIs with a plenum they'll run you $700+.

In the end, I think the only way you are going to see any real bang for the buck is a prepackaged after market tune, custom tune after installing new parts or buying a drag pack tune from GM mated to the entire parts package (i.e. parts and safety equip). Two out of three of those will void the warranty, the last one is going to be uber expensive.

My .02, feel free to pick apart everyone.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote