View Single Post
Old 03-11-2024, 11:20 PM   #51
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
So with the BTR 230 cam with LS7 lifters, BTR calls them "Delphi" since I guess they are not a regular production GM part anymore and the rights sold to Delphi, it is definitely just as loud as it was before unfortunately.

It's really noticeable inside the cab when you let off the throttle and it starts to cost at about 20-30 miles an hour, sounds almost kind of jingle belly sound but a little more heavier steel and mettalic sounding. I think the sewing machine noise is just normal GEN V stuff mixed in with some direct injection sound and it definitely makes that noise as well but I believe all of them do that decently loud.

I listened with a stethoscope and from the valve cover, front timing cover, and water pump aluminum, everything sounds exactly like it did before. So I figured I would try some thicker oil and got some Mobil 1 15W-50 "Race Proven", which also has more zinc and phosphorus than regular 5W-30 dexos. So at first it seemed to help, which really suprised me, but then as it starts to warm up a little it comes back, or maybe its just a consequence of being able to hear it better as it warms up and other noises start to go away.

However, I did notice with the stethoscope as I start to get more towards the valley cover and lifter area, I hear a very loud and bad sounding noise which is more rod knock kind of sound. The weird thing is for as loud as this noise is above everything else when your listening through the stethoscope, not sure I can't detect it specifically from the outside. Either way this noise is definitely lifter related.

Also after checking preload again with the 7.900s, I was averaging around 0.085, which should be about perfect for "LS7" lifters, but then again the preload that people run with them is all over the place. After accounting for 0.010-0.015 expansion for aluminum heads and block, the 7.900s should be good, but I ended up finding some 7.925's and ordered them.

I hate throwing money at the problem with stuff I am pretty sure won't help like higher weight oil, but I would l would like to rule those out completely.

I know sound is one of those OCD type things and some people will convince themselves they have a problem, when the reality is you have to accept some noise, especially with non-stock components.

I will say the 15W-50 probably does make some since given it's got higher (less catalyst friendly) anti-wear additives and the higher viscosity should be better under higher cam lobe loads at least.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote