View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #22
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderon1973 View Post
Thanks for all of the input. The visibility issues are a non issue for me. I plan to have the top down most of the time anyways (I live in the deep south). This car mechanically was good but man it was filthy. They hadn't detailed it yet. I would have been embarrassed to even list a car this filthy representing my dealership. It was a Mercedes dealership too! It had less paint chips than I expected for the miles but it had 2 -1 inch dents. One was real minor and the other was right on the crease at the top of the back quarter panel (not easily fixable). Both took some looking to see as they blended in pretty well. The curb rash on the rims (which the previous owner painted black-not factory black) was some of the worst I've ever seen. The car has potential for a fun daily driver and looks good from 6 feet away. I told them I wanted the fixable dent repaired and new rims or the cost of new rims deducted from the price. I had already talked them down to 26650 which is the cheapest priced SS 6th gen within 500 miles of where I live. I'll find out tomorrow if they accepted my new terms. I think a nice 6th gen SS may just be too much above my budget. I'll have to settle for some flaws, wait another year or two to save up more money, or get another 5th gen Vert.
Rims can be repaired, and fairly easily. They may not be willing to replace them, or will replace them with whatever fits the spec (without regard to style). Since they are a non-GM dealership, they don't have access to the parts at the same cost (I would expect). Explore having the rims repaired which would include sanding, filling of gouges, and re-painting. I've had this done on a few cars over the years and have always been happy with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I'd beg to differ on MRC being a "must have" option. MotorTrend actually preferred the non-MRC suspension on the SS compared to MRC and the performance #s with both were identical in their handling tests:

"This Camaro SS is the 2SS model. Even though it’s about $9K pricier than the 1SS model we tested for Car of the Year, we don’t like it as much. Objectively, the performance is almost identical. Look at the figure-eight times. Both ran a 24.1-second lap. However, both Cammisa and I preferred the ride and handling from the fixed suspension on the 1SS to the adjustable magnetorheological dampers on the 2SS. We also both preferred the way the Camaro tore up a ribbon of asphalt compared to the M4.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...let-camaro-ss/

I owned a 1SS for 4years and can confirm the base SS suspension is really well sorted out. There are trade-offs with the Camaro, but the suspension / chassis tuning and driveline are not one of them.
The stock SS suspension is very good. If you want it a little softer, you have to make some adjustments. If you want it a little stiffer, you have to make some adjustments. If you want those same levels of flexibility at the touch of a button, you opt for MRC. Personally, I very much like having the option in the car but find that I seldom use the Tour setting. I am mostly in Sport (which largely aligns with the non-MRC suspension setup) and sometimes flip to Track when I'm in the twisties because the car is simply glued to the pavement with that setting.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote