View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
IIRC the ZR1 never shared it's engine (at least I know the last ZR1 did not). So, the LT5 may remain ZR1 exlcusive. Especially since it is still being sold by Chevy now and for at least 2020. So, there is a solid argument that the LT5 won't make its way into a Camaro.

BUT, the other argument is that GM seems to have indicated that they won't protect Corvette anymore (or perhaps as much as in the past). Also, Al was quoted as saying that the ZL1 was not necessarily the end of the 6th Gen Camaro, and they will look at any available HP. There was also a mule spotted that had carbon ceramic brakes, which is not currently an option on the Camaro (so what mule was that?).

I would love to see an LT5 Camaro. I would also love to see a Gen6 Camaro with the N/A version of the 5.5 DOHC engine that is rumored to be in development for the ME 'vette. That would make a nice Z/28.

There are also rumors of a reworked LT1 (approx. 500HP) as being the base engine for the ME 'vette debut. Not sure if that would be enough for a Z/28, since the Gen5 Z/28 already had 505 HP. But if it were say , 535 HP, that may be enough for a Gen 6 Z/28.

So, there are a bunch of options out there, it's just a matter of timing. I don't think the new 'vette is far enough along to start borrowing that stuff down into the Camaro. While they may not "protect" the Corvette in terms of HP, they definately still want to let the new stuff debut in the 'vette for a while before it goes into a Camaro.

My guess is that IF there will be a Gen 6 Z/28 (or whatever you/they want to call it), it will be a 2021 MY with an LT5. That's the only engine that is being sold right now. The others I mentioned are not even in the 'vette yet.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote