View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Full Throttle Backfire

I have had an occasional backfire under full throttle since the car was new (now has 6500 miles on it). It occurs at high RPM at the shift point and at times is really loud. When it shifts or I shift it manually the backfire occurs and sometimes a miss occurs. I also noticed black smoke at that time. I took the car in to the dealer and they could not duplicate the issue and no codes were present. I took the service manager for a ride but it did not occur then either, probably because I had been doing a lot of full throttle before taking it in to analyze the issue blowing out any buildup.

I purchased a Range AFM delete because I am thinking unburned fuel/oil in the cylinders may be causing it. I noticed if I do several hard accelerations the backfire lessens and then goes away for awhile. I am hoping the Range AFM delete which prevents 4 cylinder activation will eliminate it. I do not want to put a catch can on for fear if the engine does blow one of these times it would not be covered under warranty. The Range AFM Delete can just be unplugged with not trace of it ever being there. Most of my driving is short trips which is not good for the engine but it is what it is. I am retired and my gym which I go to 4 times a week is only 1.5 miles away. Only once a week or so do I drive it for more than 5 miles so there may be a build up occurring. In addition I had the A8 shutter which some believe is cause by the AFM so it may keep my transmission/TC healthier. I also purchased a OBDII switch to cut current to the Range device to prevent battery drain which can be an issue if the car sits for a few days or so. Anyone else have this issue?
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote