View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 02:15 AM   #56
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
I honestly doubt that Chevrolet is investing any money in the 6th Gen Camaro anymore, so I don't think we will see a new Z/28.

There was a prototype spotted over 2 years ago and I think this is evidence that they had something in the development. But I think there are two big things that killed the 6th Gen Z/28:
  • The ZL1 1LE was too good. A Z/28 has to be even faster on tracks, but it is not that easy. They learned a lesson from the C7 ZR1, which from what I heard was really hard to handle on the limit on track that even pros are having are hard time to get the best results. So developing a Z/28 that outperforms the ZL1 1LE would not be simple and end up in an expansive car
  • Chevrolet added a gamechanger to the market: The C8 Corvette. It's clear that the C8 is offering a performance to price ratio that is insane. With a possible Z/28 surely reaching in $80k-90k territories, how many people will actually buy this car when the 2022 Z06 will obviously outperform it for a similiar price (and has a way better interior and more cargo space than the Camaro).
I guess everybody who is looking for a high performance Chevy will switch to the C8. For Ford and Dodge it makes sense to build cars like the GT500 or Demons, since they don't have higher models people could switch too. But for Chevrolet, I really don't see the point of a new Camaro Z/28.

Also pulling Al from the Camaro to their EVs was pretty much the end of further big investments in the Camaro.