View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #734
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
To date I've seen three 6th gens; a black hardtop, a black convertible and a yellow SS. I don't care how you spin it or defend it; the folks at GM have to be paying attention to the sales numbers. I don't see how they're not worried. Even taking out the low-profit rental car sales, which frankly are fine with me, the numbers are still lower than I think anyone expected. The July figures should be out soon. We'll see what effect steep discounts and 0% financing have on sales. They will go up, they always do when those kinds of incentives are available, but it remains to be seen if it's significant or not. If the only way to appreciably increase sales is through incentives like that, that's telling in and of itself. If the Mustang still outsells the Camaro even with the incentives, that's a whole new situation to study and think about.

I completely agree with Number 3's view of the future and future generations. As sad as it is, it does appear to be going in that direction. I find it suspiciously weird that it seems EVERY manufacturer everywhere in the world 'suddenly' is rolling out self-driving vehicles of every kind; even trucks and buses. What did they do, all get together at a conference a few years ago and decide this is what they were all going to spend billions on? Something nobody was asking for? What is the real purpose behind this? Seems odd when the infrastructure isn't set up for it at all. In order for it to work the infrastructures of the world have to be modified. How and when does that happen? Who's going to pay for it? What's next; politically correct bullying like what's going on with global freezing, er... global warming, er... 'climate change' or whatever they're calling it now? Bullying to force people into 'accepting' this 'new vision' of the future that the automotive world seems to all be working to shove down our throats whether we want it or not? Politicians HAVE to be in collusion with this; it literally reeks of their mentality. Will we have new taxes/fees/charges added to pay for all this? Maybe I'm just getting old, but this New World Disorder they're trying to create is not at all inviting or appealing.

If GM wants to take the Camaro upscale, which so far seems to be the case, that's fine. It basically becomes the 4 seat version of the vette. Nothing wrong with that, but I would like (hope) to see something new from them in the very low $20k price range to fit the market segment the Camaro used to fit in. Something new that's high on style, low to moderate performance, low to moderate price. Resist the impulse to load it up; keep it simple, fun and affordable. If they want to move the Camaro brand upscale, fine; just give the new model a new name. Personally I think that would be a much better use of billions than trying to develop self-driving vehicles.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote