View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #54
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The A8 was this way too. A quick blip of the throttle and performance shift mode would activate. On highway or city streets. I LOVED it!! Letting it downshift as I was approaching, and turning into, an event was insane. Same with the hit when I got into it ...jump.

What I was referring to was my desire to stay WOT with the A8 to catch the next upshift forced +100 mph stunts. The M6 is more controllable at low speeds (ie 1st and 2nd shifts) so its more enjoyable around town than the A8 that upshifted fast at low speeds.

BTW. The 3-4 upshift in the A8 was so strong if felt like I got rear ended.

EDIT: I'd add that I think a ZL1's power makes sense to have the A10 unless you're just tracking it.

I had a 2016 SS with the A8 and it was good, well until the shudder started, but it was quick. The A10 in Sport mode is much more playful, it seems to downshift quicker and hold gears longer even when you are not driving very spirited. In my 2016 with the A8 you really had to let it know you were ready to have some fun but in this A10 just a 50% blip of the throttle and it downshifts to the right gear and holds it and waits for me to drop the hammer.

If you want to hold gears around town so you can maximize the exhaust note and burbles you of course need to put it in manual mode but I don't really like the paddles as the car does the shifting much better than I can with the paddles.

I struggled with the choice between the A10 and M6 on this car but I think it came down to the tall gearing in the M6 and how much everyone seems to rave about the 10 speed. The A10 is not as engaging as a manual but as far as automatics go this is the best I have experienced. If there was a way to have shorter gear ratios and be able to wind out the gears more on the M6 around town I would have got it but with all this power shorter gears would just be unusable.

I had a GrandSport with M7 and they use even shorter gears than the Camaro with SS with M6 and C7 coupe (non-Z51) with M7. The shorter gears were more fun on the street.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 3.53.12 PM.png
Views: 323
Size:  479.7 KB
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote