View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 01:13 AM   #15
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdave18629 View Post
Can you expand a little on how it woke up the car? I have a Maggie on my SS with the A8 and running the stock tune and have a ported T/B. What would the seat of the pants test be like? Thanks for the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
Yes please explain or do you have any Youtube links that help us to understand? I daily drive this car so it still needs to run fine on the streets.
A higher than stock stall speed torque converter will drive almost the same as the stock converter at low speeds. It will take a bit more pedal to get it moving from a stop, but not much, just a hair more. You probably wouldn't even know it was there until you slammed the skinny pedal to the floor board. That is why I think they are awesome mods! You still retain the factory lock up function as well, so when you're cruising on the highway, you should be cruising at the same RPM you're at currently! Torque converters gain ET by getting you to peak torque as quick as possible, then it keeps the RPM up after the shift by having a higher shift extension. Shift extension is how low the RPM's drop after a shift. In my A4 99 Camaro a stock converter would shift at 6000 RPM, and then drop to around 4200 RPM. My Yank SS4000 would shift at 6200RPM, and then drop to around 4900-5000RPM. So you're no longer lugging the motor at WOT to get back into the power band! Hopefully this helps you guys understand the basic premise of how a torque converter works! Let me know if you have any other questions. Hopefully PRAY will fill in the details of how much his drops on the shift extension in his 6th gen.
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote