Thread: Ford GT vs ZR1
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #44
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The best Corvette and Viper already perform on par with Ferari's and Lambo's. They'll do the Nurburgring as fast or faster than an Enzo. Stock. The GT has a hard time out running a Z06, let alone a current Viper or the ZR1. How does that make it a better platform to build from? Also, I don't know about the GT or Viper, but the Corvette utilizes a space frame, allowing you to completely change the body if you'd like. But that would be a big advantage if you're looking to build a supercar.
I think the difference here is in potential, and not what they have already extracted. Both the ZR1 and Viper are impressively fast cars, but the reality is that the ZR1 pushes the Corvette platform to within in inch of it's breadth already as does the Viper. These cars really can't handle much more than they already do and take it in stride, which is almost certainly why you often see experienced tuners throw huge power improvements at these cars and get surprisingly little in return.

At stock power levels the GT is barely breaking a sweat, with the reality being that Ford seriously under-tired and under-powered this car. (John Coletti apparently had an obsession with this) Initially you couldn't read a review on the GT without hearing somebody say 'this car could easily take x more hp than it already has', and it wasn't uncommon for them to be talking about the car getting close to or even above the 1000hp mark. People rave about the Vette and Viper, and rightly so, but they I have never seen them say that about either.

The Viper and ZR1 are great cars, but there is a reason why, relatively speaking, 1500hp GT's are relatively common given the production numbers of the car and are amazing docile while performing ridiculous feats of speed. I've seen 1500hp Vette's and Vipers, and I've seen docile Vette's and Vipers, but I've never seen a 1500hp Vette or Viper that anybody would describe as docile. If you want the ultimate supercar hot rod I think the GT is close to impossible to beat for sheer potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3
And the Viper isn't all that cheap or easy to mod. Figure the number of V8's GM sells each year vs V10's from Dodge. Massive market for a supplier to tap into for small block chevy's vs a tiny one for Viper V10's. The GT sits between the two, since it essentially donated its engine to the GT500.
I don't disagree, my point was simply that these cars as a whole are cheap to modify compared to the alternatives (Porsche, Ferrari, etc)
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote