View Single Post
Old 10-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #3
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Smile Throttle body R&R

Sure, glad to.

My car has an LGX V6, but it would be a pretty similar process for a V8 or an earlier V6 such as the LFX.

The removal and installation time is less than 15 minutes total.
It took me about 45 minutes to do the polishing the first time and about 20 minutes the second time.
So less than an hour total either time.

Removal-
  • Remove the engine cover. In the case of the LGX you remove the oil filler cap and then remove the Torx bolt at the front-left (T30 bit). Lift the front of the cover and pull it toward the front of the car.
  • Remove the intake tube, which in the case of the LGX involves loosening three large hose clamps, un-clipping the sound tube by squeezing the sides where it connects to the tube (assuming that you still have a sound tube), and pressing the white clip on the left side of the small vent tube and pulling it gently off the intake tube.
  • Then remove the throttle body from the intake manifold. This is done by removing the four bolts using a 10mm socket.
  • Remove the electrical cable from the throttle body using a small screwdriver to depress the lock tab. I find it easier to remove the electrical cable from the throttle body after removing the throttle body from the manifold.

Polishing-
  • I did not remove the throttle plate from the throttle shaft and don't recommend doing so. Services that specialize in throttle body work probably would, but to me it is not worth the risk of getting it misaligned plus the issue of securely fastening it again.
  • I used small strips of sandpaper (about 1" wide) for the scratch removal and coarse polishing work and did it by hand (fingertips). This technique works well to get in close to the throttle shaft.
  • As mentioned, I did not remove a lot of metal, I just polished out the scratches and high spots until there was a uniform gap all the way around when the plate was held completely closed.
  • I wiped out debris frequently during the process to check progress.
  • The entry throat had the roughest finish by far. I spent a lot of time on the entry throat using 220 grit paper but a Cratex rubber abrasive tip and a Dremel tool would be a lot faster. Just don't use the Cratex on the precision portions of the bore because you could cause problems.
  • To polish everything to a mirror finish, use a small (3/4" diameter or less) cloth polishing wheel or felt pad on a Dremel tool (or similar) and abrasive compound such as MetalGlo or Harbor Freight 96775 (brown). Don't dwell too long in any one spot.
  • Hold the throttle plate wide open and you can get into all but the tightest spots quite easily.
  • Clean up the bore, plate and shaft very carefully using spray carb cleaner and clean paper towels. Then spray it down at least a couple of times until it looks like the photos and wipe dry.
  • I would not suggest using an air hose on it because it might drive dirt into the body casting along the shaft.

Installation-
  • Re-attachment to the car is the reverse of the removal process pretty much.
  • I like to smear a thin film of white grease or wheel bearing grease onto the rear mounting surface and o-ring of the manifold.
  • Install the four bolts in a cross pattern tightening a little at a time. You really should use a torque wrench for the final pass (80 lb-in of torque), but otherwise just make sure they are all four tight.
  • Put a little dielectric grease on the connector plug face and click it back into position on the throttle body.
  • Re-install the intake tube (and the sound tube if you really must) in the reverse order you took it off, then the cover.

That's all there is.
I hope that answers your question.

Last edited by DIYguy; 10-27-2019 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Formatting
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote