View Single Post
Old 12-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #328
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Our Mitsubishi project is nearing its roadworthy condition finally...runs and drives! Just no inspection...salty roads will hold that for March.

and

Now some time to point toward the inoperative Camaro. Last trip to the ring was cold (40 degrees) which meant more boost than ideal. At 157 mph on the fastest straight...smoke and oil show. Fortunately, no body panels were scratched in the fun nor where any other autos involved. Serious issue on the German roads during tourist drives. Clean up and tow(s) home were not inexpensive or quick either.

and

Nonetheless, I would guess a cracked piston from last years top end run gave up in more significant fashion. Oil leakage and engine is running on 6 or 7 cylinders points toward a new engine project - I've got another assistant that is itching for some wrenching so a new engine will allow us some quality time. He has built an LS 5.3 already so more versed that I in the new fangled engines.

Already ordered the rotating assembly for a lower-end, mild 416 cu in assembly.

Will be replacing the DOD lifters with something that allows for 7000 rpm operation along with a mild camshaft.

Basically a larger displacement LT1 with a mild bump in power, but able to rev a bit more.