View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
I miss Al

Drives: Nothing worth noting, I'm a kid
Electric Camaro teased? I hope so.

I know that a lot of you hate electric cars(Mostly for reasons which are fixable), so this thread probably won't go well, but this could be the future of the Camaro. If it doesn't go electric, it has no long-term future. If it goes electric soon, it could come back stronger than ever.

Just think about it: GM has committed to a zero-emissions future, and that goes for their entire lineup. The Mustang and Challenger are running away with sales as GM does nothing to help the Camaro compete. The only advertising comes from Real People ads and NASCAR. Al O, the man responsible for making the Camaro one of the best-handling and best bang-for-the-buck performance cars in the world, gets put in charge of engineering GM's electric vehicles, and all hope for a Z/28 is lost. At this point, the Camaro has lost the horsepower war. Its interior quality is falling behind. The designs suck. How could GM save it? Make a stripped-out track car? The last Z/28 failed with that formula. How about a drag version? How many Challenger 1320's do you see? A base V8 version? Well, yeah, but it doesn't help if you don't advertise it...

But what if the Camaro was the the FIRST in its class to do something. What if it could do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds? What if it had a lower center of mass than a Corvette? What if it had two trunks, useful rear seats, and more room for everyone? What if it didn't wake the neighbors in the morning but could wake you up with a tap of the throttle? What if, instead of getting laughed at for having a weird grille, it had no grille? What if it didn't emit greenhouse gasses? That's what an electric Camaro could offer. It would be practical, eco-friendly, and look cool, but it would also be capable of keeping up with Porsches and Corvettes. It'd be the first mass-market electric sports car, and it'd appeal to a plethora of demographics.

Well, look at this...

Doesn't that second silhouette look like a 3rd gen Camaro? It sure does to me.

Name:  GM-Electric-Camaro.jpg
Views: 6695
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  GM-Electric-Camaro-1.jpg
Views: 6800
Size:  97.9 KB

GM just announced that there will be an onslaught of new EVs coming, starting with a Cadillac crossover and a Cadillac version of they Taycan. An electric Escalade and Silverado were also announced, and it looks like an electric Trailblazer(new compact SUV, not the bigger Blazer) is also on the horizon. They also revealed a new line of batteries, including the monster 200 KwH unit going into the Hummer, Silverado, and Escalade. Those batteries use 70% less cobalt than current ones, which means that there's not much, if any cobalt in them coming from corrupt mines in the Congo. It also means that the batteries cost much less. Charging is just as quick as the Taycan, which is also important.

GM is serious about making EVs, and that's proven by the fact that they're starting by making electric versions of their best-selling and most-polluting vehicles. Their strategy is to appeal to people by making aggressive, luxurious, or highly capable EVs that show how great they can be, rather than making boring cars like the Bolt and wondering why nobody likes EVs. An electric Camaro follows that same bold strategy and, with Al in place, I'm hopeful that it becomes a reality.