View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 08:27 PM   #29
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
Increased caster will help with return to center but the most important thing, especially on a strut car that loses camber as the suspension compresses, is the camber gain when turning. 2* doesn't net you camber gain vs stock but reduces the amount of camber lost in corner. I also noticed a decrease in the amount of understeer on tight corners at the autocross. I haven't noticed any drawback to applying power like this but I also have the alternate eLSD tune.
I agree, we are fighting an uphill battle on our strut cars, trying to find grip and good tire wear. I’ve done a lot of work on my Gen5 when it comes to additional caster. More is beneficial to help the loaded tire in a turn and the unloaded tire in a turn. One of the consequences of adding caster beyond the factory specs is bump steer.
On my Gen5 the additional caster increased the bump steer, and the car drove like a dump truck on uneven, rutted and bumpy roads. With the addition of a bump steer kit and some trial and error on its tuning, the steering is feels pretty awesome. Lots of confidence when I’m pushing it hard. Without the bump steer kit I was very busy with inputs in the steering.

I plan on purchasing a Longacre bump steer measuring kit to fine tune it, if needed. Since this thread is about the SPL parts, I see they have a bump steer kit for you Gen6 guys. Don’t be afraid to try it. If you sense a loss of your fantastic OE steering feel and feedback with adding caster, the bump steer kit can help bring it back.

I test drove a 2021 SS1LE A10 this past Monday. My god, the steering feel and front grip was amazing.