View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
For Android auto there are, a quick google will show you some.

However, most seem to require an android head unit to operate and specifically say that most OEM systems are not compatible (the usb device probably doesn't simulate the appropriate "phone" device that the car expects)

There's also this (https://androidcommunity.com/get-wir...-app-20180718/) solution and while it's Android auto specific, it uses a rootable slave device like an android tv stick to act as the mediary between the phone and the head unit. Doubt a similar solution exists for carplay though since apple doesn't want anyone to root apple stuff.

I use the car to charge the phone, so wireless carplay/aa isn't even something worth considering. I have tested it out though and if you dont charge your phone in the car now, you'll be charging everywhere else you happen to be if you start using carplay/aa wirelessly. It will eat battery.

I'd suggest solutioning a way to get that usb port out of the center console so it's more easily accessible vs looking for a wireless dongle. I fiberglassed up a nifty rear vertical stand holder that sits in the spot the rear wireless charger would be in. I drop the phone in after plugging a cable into it. Entire thing is off out of the way in the rear while driving and you dont have any cables etc in the way.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote