View Single Post
Old 09-22-2020, 11:29 PM   #465
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBWS6 View Post
To clarify - was Strano running the OEM 20" SC3?

Glad to find this thread. I'm new to the 1LE and this forum, and just ran my 1st event in a new (to me) 1LE this Sunday...on MPS4S...which has led me to immediately shop tires

Our local alien driver runs on the OEM SC3 20" and suggested they are really not much slower than the 305/30/19 RE71R setup.

What sort of time difference have others seen between OEM 20" SC3 and a 19" square RE71R setup?
I see you're in Phoenix. If I lived in Phoenix I'd probably continue to run the OEM GYs. The main issue I have with GYs is slow warm-up. In CO, nights can be cool and if we start runs at 9am the GYs won't warm up at all, and the car is a lot less fun to drive on cold tires. This has pretty much ruined a couple events for me, and made a couple more less fun than it could have been... it's more an issue of spending time and money to drive a car that doesn't handle right than how fast it is for me. The car just understeers to the point trying to drive fast is futile when they're too cold.

IME it needs to be 80+ and sunny for the GYs to work, and then it'll take a couple runs. Mid 90's+ is what it seems to take for them to reach optimal, but when they are, they are really impressive, as is the car.