View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I'm not sure I'd agree with the conclusion that the dealer will be unwilling to negotiate. Read on regarding my experience. It was definitely a decent bit of work on my part, but getting a decent price on an ordered car can be done.

Before I ordered mine, I contacted 11 dealers (phone) in my surrounding area offered them the chance to compete, head to head for my business by giving me their best price. Of those who expressed interest (most of them), I sent email details of the build sheet and how I wanted them to break down their out the door price so that I could compare the bids, apples to apples. A key pre-requisite was that they have a Camaro SS allocation immediately available that they are willing to use for my order. Ultimately, I received 6 bids, 2 of which were for the invoice price (slightly less than the supplier price) and all others were some amount higher up to just a few hundred off MSRP. I then chose amongst the 2 invoice price dealers based on other criteria.

If you think about it, there are some pluses to the dealer ordering a "sold car" that help counteract the "the dealer can sell an SS on the lot to somebody else for more money" philosophy:
1) They don't have to put any sales effort time into selling this 1LE. Thus they can focus their sales staff to selling other cars on the lot
2) No time spent on repeatedly cleaning the car exterior in order to attract buyers on the lot
3) No floor space taken up with a car that probably won't sell right away
4) A guaranteed sale that helps them meet their sales quota
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote