View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #17
LJenkins1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
The Leroy trailers are amazing-looking (but expensive), and you can build a trailer that's just as useful (or better, if you have custom requirements) for under $500 using a red trailer kit from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and bolting on a full-width, waterproof, ABS pickup truck box. Four tires will also fit, stacked two-by-two and sitting side-by-side. I used one of these for years, towing it all over the country behind my Miata for autocrosses, and the only maintenance was repacking the wheel bearings once a year. When I got home, I just stood it up against the wall in front of my car until the next event. Google "autocross trailer" and you'll find a bunch of examples like this one: http://www.wizco.net/MX5/Mods/autocross_trailer.htm.
One could go this route as I contemplated the same thing before I eventually bought my LE trailer. I just couldn't trust a HF trailer to travel at highway speeds (70mph) or the distance I have to travel (500 miles per event) and survive. My experience with Dallas traffic has proven that. The LE trailers have welded tubular steel frames, hidden wiring with excellent weather proof plugs, and LED lights. The paddock also has a shock/leaf spring suspension which makes the trailer very easy to tow. I was able to replace the plastic bin that comes with it with an aluminum truck box giving me more room for stuff. These can be stored up against a wall as well. My buddy has the exact trailer pictured earlier in this thread and he stores his this way. Mine is in the backyard Of course the wallet with determines everything.