View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 12:15 AM   #35
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Actually the car isn't stiff at all, especially in comfort mode. The springs are actually pretty softly sprung because of how firm the MRC shocks can go.

Try comparing the 1LE by the amount of dip the front dips down when going over a speed bump. Hell, my GF's Mazda CX5 has less dip in it when going over a speed bump even compared to my car in track mode.

What makes the 1LE appear stiff are the sway bars which cross talk when going over uneven bumps.

The SS 1LE with MRC is the most smooth riding performance car I have even owned that has the capabilities that it has. 120MPH feels just as smooth and solid as 60MPH. That is a hard feat to achieve with non-MRC shocks. You either can have one or the other, but not both. I had Ohlin coilovers on my M3 and the handling was amazing, but you paid a big ride quality penalty for it and if you hit a large bump as 120MPH, you would be out of your seat and your head into the roof liner.
I wouldn't say it's "soft", maybe in some ultra-sportscar-world comparison, but the mag-ride is pretty capable as far as damping and the different settings and you nailed it about the swaybars being the real issue here. That CX-5 may ride like that to make it skid rather than dig in and roll-over due to being too soft. I've definitely experienced SUVs like that.

I love how when you put it in "track" it feels like it's being "sucked down" into the ground

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote