View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 02:18 PM   #11
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post
T I'll wait to reserve judgement. I doubt the CCBs will give me 15-20 days, but a guy can dream can't he?
Key to getting extended time on your CCB's is brake pads - do you stay with OEM or change them out to RB XC-40 or 41's - no question not letting your pads wear down too far will help keep heat build up down and that will benefit the life of the rotor - so spend you money on pads as you go so you don't have to spend a lot more on new rotors. But at some point rotors will have to be changed out if you put in a lot of track time.

I think Fusion gave us a good view of what a heavily tracked car will do with OEM CCB's - he ran 35+ track hours on the OEM set up before he swapped out pads and 3 seasons before swapping rotors. Here are two links of his to review for more information to consider including photos of wear.

Swap of pads on Z/28 to AP XC 41
link: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487557

Go to post #126 on page 9
Link https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...=438566&page=9

On the issue of why ZL1 1LE did not get carbon - Big Al stated well they cost another $8k and are just a marketing item and we wanted to keep the "cost" of the car down.

So end of day Z/28 was all out track build with best of everything put in and all the things not needed (e.g. creature comforts) left out, the best possible OEM track Camaro that is street legal that GM could build at the time. Zl1 1LE was a compromise car where creature comforts were left in and CCB's left out. CCB's left out and creature comforts left in so they could manage the price point and sell "more" cars. Not disssing the ZL1 1LE at all, great car - just pointing out that changes were based on car sales, not what was best available.

CCB's are better for the track and they are more expensive to operate. So from a budget perspective steel will be a better economic option and when you are talking about doing this for fun, it will just make more sense to make the conversion.

Really each just have to decide the value they get of what they run. If not racing for real and looking for the last 10th - steel rotors will be the best economic option.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote