View Single Post
Old 10-24-2020, 09:14 AM   #28
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Taller tires reduces shift extension meaning you will fall back to a lower rpm on shift. You will go faster on a shorter tire if you can hook. I believe the top bolt-on A8 cars run a 26" tire for better gearing at the track, then move to a 28" with more power like H/C because the 26" will no longer hook. I ran a 305/35/20 555r even when bolt-on NA and it was 5-6 tenths quicker over the stock run flats but lost a little trap speed. Hard street tires put more power to the ground over drag radials. On a dyno you will see 15whp difference. So if all you care about is mph or roll racing then run a shorter harder street tire. If you want to hook then taller softer compound with a side wall that will flex is what you want. Sticking with something like a 275/35/20 555r2 is probably a good middle ground.
Great info for sure KingLT1, thank you. I will be only 30-40 RWhp over stock, with a 10 speed auto. I air down on a hot OE tire to 25PSI and do a good clean burnout and would be looking to do a high 1.80 60ft. So a little shorter gear works for me to 1/4 mile the car on a track and even fool around on the street. I do no high speed roll racing at all and only care about ET at the strip. Thats why I am leaning toward a 27 tall tire which is .7 shorter than OE, and maybe 1 inch shorter max. My 2015 manual trans base stingray with Z51 sized michelin pilot SS tires , very minor bolt on tricks and setup, does 11.78 in the 1/4 with a 1.97 60ft. I concentrate on one thing with a manual, get out of the hole with no spin as fast as i can.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote