View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
sureshshanmugam79

Drives: Summit White 1LT RS I4 M6
Low Anti-freeze level in bottom reservoir

Hi, yesterday i noticed that that the lower anti-freeze coolant reservoir was empty when cold. The top reservoir is full - both when the engine is cold.

I read in a V8 thread that it is okay to drive as far as the top reservoir has coolant.

I started paying attention to the Coolant temperature in the console and it is normally at 196Deg. Max.

today i noticed that is went upto 199 Deg, and i was scared, immediately turned off the AC, changed to heat mode and the temperature maintained at 195 deg or less. I drove home and parked and notice that the lower reservoir has little coolant(may few 5mm from bottom).
I checked the engine oil dip stick for any milky oil or abnormalities. Nothing abnormal.

I was going to buy coolant and fill in the lower reservoir, but couldn't find the Dex-cool at the local store. I have ordered the ACDelco DexCool in amazon and be filling the lower reservoir soon.

Is this norma for the temperature to reach 199Deg. if so at what temperature should I be concerned? The needle temperature gauge is at 1/3 and doesnt raise above that.

Mine is a M-6 and has 10700 miles.

Can I use the Peak/ Prestone/ Autozone coolant that has the Dex-cool mentioned on the bottle? or wait for the ACDelco to be delivered later the week?

Is it normal to loose coolant from the lower reservoir at this rate?

Please share your thoughts or advice.

Appreciations.

2016 1LT RS Summit White M6
10/2/2016 - 3 Miles on ODO - Delivered
11/1/2016 - All around light Black out kit from Phastek
11/15/2016 - OEM Splash guards and all weather mats from ShopChevyParts.com
12/16/16 - 977 Miles. Borla S-type Axleback

Planned - CAI Injen, hood wrap, Sema rocker stripes, Sema trunk balckout, Caliper Paint, Reverse LED
sureshshanmugam79 is offline   Reply With Quote