View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
I miss Al

Drives: Nothing worth noting, I'm a kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobcat View Post
It has its pluses but idk, seeing that you can put the same platform in a variety of vehicle types, there would be no real differentiating aspect of the pony or muscle car. Plus a really quick electric car is currently really expensive. I could see maybe a battery assist kind of like a supercharger or turbo that would help acceleration and also mileage on the highway.
Dodge is looking into making hybrids, as are Porsche, Ford, BMW, and others. NASCAR is even talking about going hybrid. But by the time GM puts out a hybrid 6th gen, the electric architecture will be ready. GM wants to put all of its consumer vehicles, aside from the Corvette on just 3 or 4 platforms. Every manufacturer is doing that, including Ford. The s650 Mustang will be on the same platform as the current Explorer, last I checked. All of this is to make cars more affordable, more reliable, and safer, and quicker to design/engineer/develop. The differences between cars will be suspension setups, wheel/tire combos, body styles, motor layouts, and features. Interior designs will also differ. Batteries will be modular, which allows GM to stack cells vertically or put them side-by side in order to make different sizes of vehicles. A chassis could have a wide, flat battery to fit a sports car, then the manufacturer could stack a second, identical battery on top of it and put it all under an SUV. It's genius and cheap. Every car buyer benefits from that. It even makes for great military vehicles, and GM is working on getting Pentagon contracts to prove it.