View Single Post
Old 01-06-2023, 11:54 AM   #16
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvp33 View Post
Long strange trip for me as well. Started quarter-mile racing and became bored with taking a 10 second pass and then sitting in the pits for an hour to wait for your car to cool down, followed by another 10 second pass. Went to the SRT driving experience and caught the road racing bug for good.

Tried to road race my Chrysler 300, which got a lot of laughs, until I started hitting 170mph on the back straight and hitting 2:15 full course at VIR. Surprised a lot of people. Then on to my 2 CTSV’s (sedan, then coupe) again, trying to make a fat car fast. Not fun. Finally bought my first Z06. Followed by my second. Got my times down to 2:02. Wanted to switch from a seven speed to an automatic in the ZL1 1LE is the only automatic vehicle that I would trust for track duty. Haven’t tracked it yet but can’t wait.
Love your story getting into HPDE, as well as your choice of vehicles! Garage is beautiful too. We're in the market to upgrade our home, but I'm feeling like it may be best to wait and see what mortgage rates do. 2 or 3 car garage is high on the priority list. I've been able to make the one car detached garage work ok, but I think I've put as much on the walls as I can.

Looks like you started out with a 4th gen f-body as well. I suspect that's why we started out drag racing! Those cars (hey solid rear axle in the aughts!) were not optimized for going around corners by any means. But the last decade, or so, has been a great time to be an American car enthusiast and get into HPDE. I've been really impressed with the track weapons GM has been producing. Now we can play with the Porsches and Bimmers.

I'm planning on one or two events at VIR this year. Would be great to sync up some dates and meet at an event if you plan on tracking the ZLE this year.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote